The branch has introduced a LocAle scheme, similar to that adopted by other CAMRA branches. There are currently 125 CAMRA branches participating in the LocAle scheme which have accredited hundreds of pubs as LocAle pubs which regularly sell at least one locally-brewed real ale.
Everyone benefits from local pubs stocking locally-brewed real ale...
- Public houses as stocking local real ales can increase pub visits
- Consumers who enjoy greater beer choice and diversity
- Local brewers who gain from increased sales
- The local economy because more money is spent and retained locally
- The environment due to fewer 'beer miles' resulting in less road congestion and pollution
- Tourism due to an increased sense of local identity and pride - let's celebrate what makes our locality different
Accreditation is at the sole discretion of the local CAMRA branch and subject to the licensee agreeing to the following...
- That they will endeavour to ensure at least one locally brewed real ale, as defined by the local branch, is on sale at all times
- Only real ale, as defined by CAMRA, can be promoted as a CAMRA LocAle
- Where the standard of real ale sold falls below an acceptable quality, accreditation will be withdrawn
- That accreditation can be withdrawn at any time at the discretion of the local branch
- That should accreditation be withdrawn, or should the licensee withdraw from the scheme, all LocAle publicity material must be removed from the pub and the licensee must cease using the CAMRA LocAle logo.
Following feedback from our members, the Branch has decided to use a 30 mile limit for the definition of LocAle. We are now looking to sign up pubs who meet the above criteria.
Pubs in the Croydon & Sutton branch area which have joined the scheme are:
The George, 17-21 George St, Croydon, CR0 1LA Wetherspoon, (various)
Hope, 48 West St., Carshalton, SM5 2PR Free house, (various)
Shelverdine Goathouse, 7-8 High Street, South Norwood, SE25 6EP, Antic, (Volden)
Shinner and Sudtone, 67 High Street, Sutton, SM1 1DT, Antic, (Volden)
Sun, 4 North St, Carshalton, SM5 2HU Free house, (various)
Wallington Arms, 6-16 Woodcote Rd, Wallington, SM6 0NN, Antic, (Volden)